Get your research on RV Investigator
20 June 2016
The next big discovery in marine science may be waiting for you on board RV Investigator. This state-of-the-art research vessel provides marine researchers with an exciting opportunity to conduct research in Australia’s vast ocean estate.
With a range of 10 000 nautical miles and the ability to scan the deepest corners of the ocean, Investigator can travel from the ice edge to the tropics, gathering huge quantities of data. The ship has been purpose built to support atmospheric, oceanographic, biological and geoscience research, and can accommodate multiple research projects on a single voyage.
Investigator offers researchers the opportunity to access grants of ship time through a competitive, merit-based selection process for Granted Voyages. Granted Voyages provide around 180 days at sea per annum and are funded by the Australian Government.
If you are an Australian marine researcher who belongs to an Australian research organisation, or an international collaborator, then you can apply for sea time to conduct your research.
CSIRO’s Marine National Facility is offering a series of free information sessions to provide information about:
- Research capabilities of RV Investigator
- How to apply for sea time
- Key dates in the application process
- How applications are assessed (including examples of what makes a strong application).
Sessions are free and RSVP is essential.
To register, simply click the hyperlink that corresponds to the session you want to attend and enter your Name, Organisation and Contact Number in the body of the email. Then hit send.
Once your registration is confirmed, an email will be sent to you with further details.
Click on the desired session date to register for that particular information session:
- Melbourne 11 May, 1:00pm–3:00pm, Wark confrence room, Building 203, CSIRO Ian Wark Laboratories, Bayview Avenue, Clayton VIC
- Adelaide 12 May, 9:30am–11:30am, Building 1, CSIRO Waite Campus, Waite Road, Urrbrae SA
- Sydney 19 May, 10:30am–12:30am, Marsfield Lecture Theatre, CSIRO Radiophysics Laboratory, Corner of Vimiera and Pembroke Roads, Marsfield NSW
- Brisbane 20 May, 8:30am–10:30am, Daintree Seminar Room, Ecosciences Precinct, Ground Floor, Seminar Room 2 (East), 41 Boggo Road, Dutton Park QLD
- Perth 24 May, 9:30am 11:30am, CSIRO Floreat Auditorium, Centre for Environment & Life Sciences, Underwood Avenue, Floreat WA
For further information about the information sessions, please contact Matt Marrison at the Marine National Facility (CSIRO):
T: 03 6232 5197
RV Investigator is owned and operated by CSIRO on behalf of the nation through the Marine National Facility. The Facility enables excellent marine research delivering nation benefit.
Want to know more about Investigator and applying for sea time? Watch this 3 minute video.