Community Update August 2017
Welcome to the latest national marine science community update.
The National Marine Science Committee (NMSC) met face-to-face in Canberra on 20 July and our meeting report is now available.
It’s also been a busy time for national conferences. A successful Australian Marine Science Association (AMSA) annual conference was held in Darwin on 3-6 July, with an update provided via AMSA’s member report. This was followed by the annual Australian Coral Reef Society (ACRS) annual conference in Townsville on 16-18 July, and the annual Australian Society for Fish Biology (ASFB) annual conference in Albany on 22-24 July.
Annual conferences of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (AMOS) and the Australian Coastal Society (ACS) are coming up in early 2018, with abstract deadlines approaching fast. NMSC agreed to make contact with these groups to discuss how best to use the collective power of their annual conferences to progress the national marine science agenda, and to provide feedback to NMSC on future priorities.
On the international front, the second International Indian Ocean Expedition (IIOE-2) is progressing and various communication streams exist to keep you informed about what is happening and enable you to let others know about your Indian Ocean research. These include:
- The IIOE-2 website.
- Email news and the monthly IIOE-2 e-bulletin.
- The Indian Ocean Bubble newsletter, published at roughly 6-monthly intervals – To join the mailing list or submit short contributions (one pagers) send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Deep Sea Research II Special Issue on the IIOE-2 – If you still wish to avail yourself of this opportunity, please urgently submit an expression of interest with the title and the names of the authors to the Guest Editor, Prof Raleigh Hood email@example.com. Submissions close on 1st November 2017.
- Endorsement of research projects as part of the IIOE-2 – If you wish to have a major research project endorsed please complete the required form.
- Communication with the Australian IIOE-2 National Committee – Chaired by Lynnath Beckley from Murdoch University (L.Beckley@murdoch.edu.au).
Tim Moltmann, Chair
on behalf of the National Marine Science Committee